Working to Help Clients Thrive
Los Angeles Wage Garnishments Lawyers
Put an End to Wage Garnishments in Southern California
If your wages are being garnished due to unpaid debt, take action now. Our debt relief attorneys in Los Angeles have represented thousands of people throughout Los Angeles who have had their wages garnished and who face other serious financial challenges. You have legal options that may help you regain your financial stability and put an end to creditor harassment and wage garnishment. Filing for bankruptcy or challenging the garnishment in court are two possible options. There may be others.
Though we may be able to help after your wages have been garnished, we highly suggest you call us before the situation becomes that severe. If you have been threatened with a debt collection lawsuit, if you suspect lenders will soon file a lawsuit against you or even if a court order already allows your wages to be garnished, take action to protect your income.
Relief from debt is possible. Contact us online or call us at (310) 220-4147 to schedule your initial consultation with a garnish wages lawyer in Los Angeles.
How Much of My Wages Can Be Garnished in California?
If your wages are garnished, your income may be reduced a substantial amount. The law allows for the following to be withheld from your garnished paychecks:
- 25 percent of your disposable income, or
- The amount by which your income for a week exceeds 30 times the federal minimum wage;
- Whichever is less of the above will be the amount garnished.
There will likely be many warnings before wage garnishment occurs. Take those warnings seriously and contact our debt relief law firm. We may be able to stop wage garnishment before it even begins. Though we may suggest bankruptcy, we may also identify alternatives that will help you get real debt relief. Bankruptcy is only one tool in our “toolbox.”
Can My Wages Be Garnished Without a Court Order in Los Angeles?
While a creditor is required to receive a court order to garnish a debtor's wages, there are certain types of debts that do not require a court order:
- Taxes: The government can garnish your wages without a court order if you owe taxes.
- Child support: Child support enforcement orders include an automatic wage garnishment, which can range from 50 to 60 percent of your disposable income.
- Student loans: The US Dept. of Education can issue a garnishment order if you default on your student loans.
How Bankruptcy Can End Wage Garnishment
Filing Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy may allow you to obtain real debt relief in several ways:
- First, bankruptcy offers the relief of the automatic stay. This stops creditor harassment, collection lawsuits, and wage garnishment as well as repossession, foreclosure, and eviction proceedings. If you are having trouble paying your taxes, your mortgage or rent, your car payments, and you are being harassed by collectors, we can help.
- Second, bankruptcy can provide relief from your debts. If your wages are being garnished, you may be falling behind on other bills and struggling to make ends meet. Bankruptcy can get rid of most of your debts so you can free up your income to repay your priority debts and still be able to afford daily living expenses.
We have helped many clients in these situations emerge from overwhelming debt. The sooner you contact us, the sooner we can help you save your credit and take charge of your debt. Bankruptcy may be a viable alternative and will help you build a stronger financial foundation than if you simply continue to struggle with debt.
If you would like to learn more about stopping your wage garnishment, call us for a consultation with our wage garnishments attorney.
Your Dedicated Legal Team
Hear From People We've Helped
Honesty, Integrity, and Respect for the LawSally C.
Courageous Judicial Officer of the CourtFormer Client
Honor, Compassion, and Zealous Respect for the LawMS
"David Zolkin’s tenacious advocacy restored my faith in the judicial system. He was able to secure an order dismissing the debtor’s case with a permanent bar; something unheard of in bankruptcy. This, in turn, protected my rights as a creditor."Former Client
"We remain incredibly grateful!"Patrick K.
"Jim Selth has always come through in a very professional, timely, and responsible manner."Marc B.
Thousands of Cases Handled
Our experienced attorneys have successfully represented thousands of businesses and individuals with financial problems.
We Offer Cost-Effective Expertise
Flexible fee arrangements enable small and mid-sized businesses to obtain the type of relief usually reserved only for large companies.
Big Firm Experience at a Boutique Price
Each of our partners have decades of experience helping clients successfully navigate all kinds of complex financial matters.
A Full-Service Bankruptcy Law Firm
One of the few true full-service bankruptcy firms in Los Angeles specializing in all chapters of the Bankruptcy Code and out of bankruptcy solutions.
We can help you find clarity and peace of mind so you can move ahead to a positive future with your financial situation under control.