Working to Help Clients Thrive
How Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Works
The lawyers of Weintraub Zolkin Talerico & Selth LLP can be your guides and your advocates through the Chapter 13 bankruptcy process. Because we are so experienced with all types of bankruptcy, we can explain the Chapter 13 bankruptcy process in clear language and help you achieve your goals as expeditiously as possible. Our attorneys have more than 100 years of combined experience.
When you meet with an attorney at Weintraub Zolkin Talerico & Selth LLP, we will discuss your debts, assets, income, and goals for debt relief. If Chapter 13 bankruptcy is the right solution for you, our bankruptcy attorneys in Los Angeles will carefully explain how it works and what you can expect.
To arrange an appointment with one of our lawyers, call us at (310) 220-4147 or contact us online.
Steps in a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Case
- Credit counseling course: First, you must complete the required credit counseling course before you ofile. The course must be from an approved agency on the list of the U.S. Trustee's website.
- Bankruptcy Petition and Filing: You must complete and file all the paperwork necessary for your petition. In your petition, you must disclose all information related to your debts, income, assets, properties, recent tax returns, etc. You should also propose a repayment plan to show the courts how you intend to repay the debts. An attorney can help you file your paperwork and structure your plan.
- Automatic Stay: As soon as you file your Chapter 13 case, the automatic stay is imposed. This is a court order that prohibits creditors from taking collection actions against you or even contacting you directly. Wage garnishment, repossession, foreclosure actions, litigation, judgment enforcement, and creditor harassment all must stop.
- Trustee Appointed: The court will appoint a bankruptcy trustee to oversee your case and handle the repayment plan to your creditors.
- Meeting of Creditors: You and your creditors will receive a letter from the bankruptcy court notifying you of the meeting of creditors. At the meeting of creditors we will represent you and discuss your case with the bankruptcy trustee assigned to your case. Creditors are not typically present at this meeting.
- Confirmation Hearing: After we have formalized a re-payment schedule, we will present it to the bankruptcy trustee who will recommend that the court either approve (confirm) or deny the plan at the bankruptcy court confirmation hearing. We will represent you at this hearing and argue against any objections to the plan.
- Begin Payments: Once the re-payment plan is confirmed, you will begin making payments until the plan is completed.
- Discharge & Bankruptcy Completion: Once you have made your last payment, you will have completed the re-payment plan and receive a discharge of all remaining eligible debts.
The above represents a very brief overview of the Chapter 13 process. We can help you formulate a repayment plan of your debts that will typically allow you between three and five years to repay your negotiated debts. We have had decades of success helping our clients re-structure their debt for lower payments on loans and other types of debt.
Since each case is unique and you may have specific questions about Chapter 13 bankruptcy, call Weintraub Zolkin Talerico & Selth LLP, for clear answers and practical advice from experienced attorneys in Los Angeles.
Reach out to our firm online or call us at (310) 220-4147.
Your Dedicated Legal Team
Hear From People We've Helped
Honesty, Integrity, and Respect for the LawSally C.
Courageous Judicial Officer of the CourtFormer Client
Honor, Compassion, and Zealous Respect for the LawMS
"David Zolkin’s tenacious advocacy restored my faith in the judicial system. He was able to secure an order dismissing the debtor’s case with a permanent bar; something unheard of in bankruptcy. This, in turn, protected my rights as a creditor."Former Client
"We remain incredibly grateful!"Patrick K.
"Jim Selth has always come through in a very professional, timely, and responsible manner."Marc B.
Thousands of Cases Handled
Our experienced attorneys have successfully represented thousands of businesses and individuals with financial problems.
We Offer Cost-Effective Expertise
Flexible fee arrangements enable small and mid-sized businesses to obtain the type of relief usually reserved only for large companies.
Big Firm Experience at a Boutique Price
Each of our partners have decades of experience helping clients successfully navigate all kinds of complex financial matters.
A Full-Service Bankruptcy Law Firm
One of the few true full-service bankruptcy firms in Los Angeles specializing in all chapters of the Bankruptcy Code and out of bankruptcy solutions.
We can help you find clarity and peace of mind so you can move ahead to a positive future with your financial situation under control.